Surge and hipot testing are additional non-destructive tests which involve applying high voltage to uncover insulation defects and weaknesses.
- Surge tests are used to detect shorted motor conductor turns, which are typically caused by the failure of conductor insulation, or inadequate insulation on the windings.
- Hipot tests are used to detect current leaks created by a breakdown in the insulation or material and workmanship defects in and around current-carrying conductors.
Problems/Conditions Detectable by Surge and Hipot Testing
- Faulty insulation around conductor turns
- Insulation breakdown due to defects, contamination or wear and tear
- Nicked or crushed insulation
- Inadequate clearance distance
- Corrosion or contamination near conductors
Benefits of Surge and Hipot Testing
- Prevents electrical shock injuries to operators
- Reduces repair or replacement costs
- Reduces risk of motor damage
- Increases equipment life